Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Grandma's Hot Chocolate

There is a card in the recipe box at my house that has this recipe:

Hot Chocolate

1 box of instant milk
1 jar of Pream
17 oz Nestle's chocolate
1/2 box of powdered sugar

That's it.  No directions, nothing.  And what is "Pream"?

However, I can show this card to any of my nieces or my nephew, they would know exactly what it is.  It's Grandma's hot chocolate mix and WAY better than anything you can ever get out of a little bag.  I'm updating the recipe for you here - because I promise, you'll love it!

Gwen/Grandma's Hot Chocolate Mix

1 box of instant milk powder (the one that says it makes 8 quarts of milk)
1 11 oz. container of creamer - plain (the powdered kind)
20 oz Nestle's chocolate milk mix (the dry powdered stuff)
1 lb of powdered sugar

Mix together in a large bowl.  Save in a air-tight container.  I don't know how many servings it makes, but the recipe above fills my large Tupperware "thatsa" bowl. We generally add 3 - 4 heaping spoonfuls of the mix to hot/boiling water in a regular coffee mug.  

Please note: Try your mix and adjust ingredients as needed.  I'm a "little of this, little of that" kind of person, but I think the proportions above work well.  You can add mini-marshmallows if you want (or just keep a can of whipped cream available).  I'm also debating adding shaved dark chocolate pieces to my mix next time.

I promise it's fantastic.

And after delivery to my nieces, I promise that I will be the favorite aunt (at least for the day)!

No comments: