Friday, August 1, 2008

Grasshopper messenger...


It happened on my way to work today. I was moving along with flow of traffic, just heading onto the Marquam bridge, when I saw it.

A little green grasshopper. Not just green - but lime green - almost fluorescent. I've never actually seen a grasshopper that color.

He was hanging onto my driver's side mirror. And when I say hanging on -- it was for dear life. His little front legs were spread wide and gripping the top edge of the mirror -- his wings blowing in the quick wind caused by the moving vehicle.

And he hung there. For a long time. I watched him for the next three miles or so. He stayed on the edge for a while, then moved to the top of the mirror. And all the while, I was just waiting for him to blow off - afraid to go faster - thinking that more speed would be his downfall.

But eventually, he moved to the back of the mirror facing the on-coming wind full force. I lost view of him just as I was getting off the freeway. I don't really know when he fell off, but he didn't make it all the way to the office with me. It made me sad. I wanted to see him succeed.

During the few miles of watching him battle to stay attached, I kept thinking: "That's the way I feel right now...that it's taking all of my strength to stay attached, to survive, to just get through the day...knowing that the next big breeze would knock me off. Like I'm hanging on for dear life."

And I thought of this bible verse:

Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. [James 1:12]

I kind of think "hanging on for dear life" can be of the same mind as "persevering under trial."

So I guess that now is the time to hang on, to brave the wind, to persevere -- one day at a time.

For tomorrow will be another story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The imagery that came to mind when I read your story was pretty clear...and I often feel like your grasshopper. Thank you for the glimpse of hope!