Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Use of humor

Many who know my mother believe that she is a laid-back, quiet woman of great, Godly strength. I would disagree with the former, but agree heartily with the later! What only a few know (mostly family) is that she can be loud, opinionated, determined, and stubborn. All of these characteristics lead to her great patience and faithfulness in God during this time of struggle against cancer.

That is why so frequently I am thrown off by her use of humor to diffuse some of my family's concern regarding her health problems. Oh the stories I could share - but they are better told in person. I will leave you with just a little hint of her style. The following excerpts are from a recent update she sent out via e-mail to family and friends regarding her latest tests and chemo

She first says:

"All in all I feel pretty good and try to see every good result as great. I praise and thank God for every good one."

Then the humor:

" I also tell Him thank you for letting me have hair for Christmas."

That's my mom!

2 comments:

Arly said...

I love Aunt Gwen, she cracks me up. And honestly though, who doesn't know about her stubborn opinionated side? :)

Rob Dennis said...

And yes I am part of the reason the two youngers think poop is funny. Not the entire reason I think the bergums and a few others share the blame with me. But poop is funny hun