Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A view of Uganda: Pineapple

















So - over the last few mission trips I have taken, I have had the opportunity to 'educate' others on one specific fruit: the pineapple. Here's my recollection of the latest 'education' required:

We had arrived in Uganda on Friday, December 28, 2007. On Saturday, after some orientation, lunch, and a few errands around Kampala (the capital city), we headed out on the road to Ft. Portal - our base of operations for most of this trip. There were eight of us who loaded up into the Cash's Land Cruiser and in a slightly cramped, but wonderfully air-conditioned vehicle, we headed out. There was lots of discussion and laughter.

It was just an hour or so into the drive, when Jeff was suddenly pulling off to the side of the road. He had seen that the Hi-lux pickup was pulled over on the side of the road - with all of our luggage inside! We all got out to stretch our legs and were quickly apprised of the situation: the bearings in the front left wheel had shredded. Derrick and Patrick were already in the process of going back and forth to town to find replacement parts and a mechanic. We all settled in to wait - not wanting to leave them on the road without knowing if things would get fixed.

No one moaned, no one complained. We were in Africa! It started off our trip with that typical African experience of waiting, and waiting, and waiting. We began visiting and looking around the area. I immediately noticed the pineapple field and called Jenna over. Our conversation quickly turned to where pineapples grow (and people - it's not in a tree)! We got a good look at the field and the new pineapples. Derrick listened in amazement about how many Americans don't know how pineapples grow because this fruit just doesn't grow on the mainland U.S. of A.

There was much laughter during this exchange - not 'at' Jenna, but near her. And as we waited, soaking up the sun, walking along the road, visiting with Patrick, or in Greg's case - napping in the Land Cruiser, we enjoyed every moment of our 3-hour + detour.

We almost couldn't wait for our next 'African' experience to come along.


(Note: Just as part of a lesson in history, pineapple is not native to Uganda. If my memory serves me correctly, it was brought in during the British colonization of Uganda.)


4 comments:

Smash said...

I love that we have had a similar post! Pineapple! I saw a pineapple feild here too - and it's true - they grow in the ground! I've also tried a kind of pineapple that's white....and it makes a regular pineapple taste like nothing! I wish you could try it...it's one of the most amazing things I've ever tasted. I like the saying. I think I might write that from now on. That's just also one of those sayings that I can't help but think of grandpa. So, now we are skype friends...please lets talk soon. LOVE AND MISS YOU!
love, me!

Tiffany said...

finally wendy posts. praise god. I remember the first pineapple plant i saw. I think honduras, it looks silly. Comin March 1-3...

Arly said...

Now that's just rad. I didn't know that pineapple didn't grow in a tree. Of course, I guess I never really thought about it. :)

Rob Dennis said...

Yeah it's about freaking time!!!! I was going to txt you daily till you started doing this lol